Thursday, April 23, 2015

Week 3

 I cannot believe how much I've learned already! So many tales and gods/goddesses, it's hard to keep track. I would go into full detail on the fables, but I'm saving it for my presentation. I have yet to find a video, but I'm still looking. This has become a more and more popular subject across the nation, so it shouldn't take long. In order to entertain all 4 of my current followers, though, I will describe the different worlds found in Norse Mythology.

The first world I've learned about, and have mentioned many times, is Asgard. This is where the Aesir gods live, like Thor and Odin.
 The second one is Vanaheim, the home of the Vanir tribe. This tribe isn't as well known as the Aesir gods. They include Freya and Freyr, Njord, and Gullveig.
 The third most important world is Midgard, the home of the humans. Unlike Greek Mythology, the gods don't dwell in the same place. They prefer to stay in Asgard and rule from there. The humans are seen as pawns, soldiers to use during intense, tension-filled, situations between them and giants, or, in other cases, themselves. It seems to be the home of the only creatures unable to travel between worlds. It's made inside of Ymir's skull, held up by 4 dwarves. the clouds are made of his brains, oceans his blood, dirt his muscles, and vegetation his hair.
 The world Jotunheim is the home of the giants, either described as ruthless, bloodthirsty, beings or helpful, strong friends of the gods. They are the main characters besides the gods themselves.
 Svartalfheim, the world of dwarves, is where most of the god's most symbolic items were created. The are the craftsmen of the Nine Worlds.
 Aflheim, the land of the elves, is the least mentioned place in Norse Mythology (at least, on the website I am using). From what I can concur, the elves are in an everlasting era of peace.
 Hel, the land of the dead, is the domain of Hel, Loki's daughter. She is the queen of the dead, and controls the coming's and going's of the dead souls. This is interesting, because this is the first Mythology I've heard of with a female figure as the ruler of the dead.
 Niflheim, the world of ice, is one of the two worlds that combined to create Ymir.
 Muspelheim, the world of fire, is the second world of the two combined to create Ymir.

  It's interesting to think about how it would be for the Nordic people. Imagine having to keep in mind all these worlds (not to mention how to pronounce them). They understood that they were not the most important beings in the universe. That's what I love about mythology. The most fanatical things can happen, and the people will just accept it as a mystery, something out of their power to control. That idea humbles me and surprises me, that humans used wonder about things, that while science may have played a huge part in their life, they didn't really understand it.
Thank you so much for reading, guys!

1 comment:

  1. What you are learning about is very interesting and I can't wait to see your final product!

    ReplyDelete