Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Week One

 How can I go more in depth with Norse Mythology?
 That is my Genius Hour driving question. For awhile now, I've wanted to begin learning about Norse gods, myths, and tales. When my teachers announced that we would be doing Genius Hour for the last nine weeks of school, I was excited to begin. On this blog, I will be posting most of what I learn, questions, and/or comments that I will have (and I most certainly have many). 
 I've already begun looking for a few simple myths to read about, and I've learned quite a lot all ready. For instance, the Nordic tribes believed that time went in a full circle. The birth of the gods, the reign of the gods, and then Ragnarok, the death of the gods and end of the world. After all this, though, the cycle begins again with the creation of the giant Ymir.
 Ymir was created when two worlds, one of ice and one of fire, merged. From his glands, more and more giants were born, as well as a giant cow. The cow licked the ice of the world Niflheim to replenish her strength, and uncovered Buri, the first god. He, in turn, married Bolthorn, and together they had Odin and his brothers.
 I find this interesting, because it signifies the combining of elements, which creates life. It also proves that the Nordic people understood genetic science enough to understand that some organisms could reproduce asexually. It also shows that the Nordic tribes understood the importance of livestock, so much so that they included a cow to explain the creation of their gods!
 I've always been fascinated by mythology and fables, particularly Greek, Egyptian, and Native American.
I'm excited to learn more about Norse mythology because I love to learn about other people's views on how things were created. Don't get me wrong, I love science class, but hearing the ingenuity of people who had never heard of any science equipment always amazes me. It just proves that us humans have always wondered about the impossible and told stories that people have yearned to hear, until the 21st century.

3 comments:

  1. That`s really cool! I am also excited to see what more you learn from the myths and stories you will find! I have already begun to learn new things from this post that I have not known before and I find that interesting. Thank you and I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mythology is always awesome! Can't wait to see what you learn. (: Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool topic, and I can tell you are passionate about this topic in how you were able to dive right in to your learning!

    ReplyDelete